Thursday, January 05, 2006

Waiting on God

I hope this will be a place to keep in touch with loved ones. Also it seems like a great place to share my life with you.

Yesterday I read Oswald Chambers My Utmost for His Highest. It was speaking of waiting on God and I loved what he said about doubt. We are walking in faith on the building of our family village. Our house will be the first to be built and while we have been moving ahead, we have suddenly felt that we should wait a bit. It seems silly to wait in the natural sense because we know that some costs will go up, but that is natural reasoning and of what value is that! Peter made ignorant statements in John 13, because he was speaking out of his natural man.


Oswald says,
"Never run before God gives you His direction. If you have the slightest doubt, then He is not guiding. Whenever there is doubt— wait.
But never act on the impulse of that feeling. If you do, you will cause difficult situations to arise which will take years to untangle. Wait for God’s timing and He will do it without any heartache or disappointment. When it is a question of the providential will of God, wait for God to move.

When I read that I was so struck! We could move ahead and make decisions that could cause problems that would take years to untangle! And if we do wait a year and it costs more, is that the real issue? Should that be our deciding factor? Heavens NO! For when God says move, or yes, or now is the time His provision will also be there!

It is so easy to fall into the trap of leaning on our own understanding and think that it is right or wise.
Proverbs 3:5-7 says,
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.

What freedom there is in completely letting go and leaning on Him, knowing that all His plans succeed!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow. I had no idea that God was speaking this to you. It witnesses to my spirit, though. I am so impressed to see you guys willing to hear God say to wait ... I know that's hard when you've been so focused on this. But the two keys to hearing God, according to Pastor Francis, are having no preferences and no timeline. You are living that!

Love the blog too. I can't wait to read more! I love your devotional style.