Glenn and I as well as many friends have been interceeding and physically supporting some precious friends who are going through a really rough time. Today we learned that the outcome is not what we were praying and believing for. It was a tough blow, stunning, numbing!
I came face to face with my "expectation" of answered prayer, one that I didn't realize I had. This will give me pause for some time. "Prayer is not spiritual positive thinking or affirmation." I knew that in my head but still thought, "If I pray hard enough..." Prayer is inviting our Loving Father into our circumstances. That, however, is not a guarantee of things going the way that I think God would best be glorified. Today was just such a case.
Does He care that our friend had life changing news today? I know that He cares. I know that His eye is on the sparrow. I know that He has numbered the hairs on my head. I know that He who began a good work in me, in my friend, will continue until the day of Jesus Christ, developing and perfecting and bringing it to full completion (in me, in our friends, in you). Phil 1:7. I know that He has not given me a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Tim. 1:7. I know that His plan has been running smoothly along since creation. His redemptive thread is ever woven into the histories of time. And that is His only REAL plan, every other plan supports that one. God has a much bigger view of things. I am glad...because today I am sad.
Thursday, October 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I thought of this situation when I read this today, "If thou seest the oppression of the poor, and violent perverting of judgment and justice in a province, marvel not at the matter: for he that is higher than the highest regardeth; and there be higher than they" (Ecc 5:8 KJVR). Literally, "for high watches over high and the highest over them."
As we near the end and justice from men is harder and harder to be found, Lord, keep our hearts from being offended. Help us to love our enemies, to pray for those who persecute us, and to rejoice in suffering for Your sake. Help us to know that our justice will come, and it far exceed the injustice we experience now.
I am praying that the Lord will strengthen and comfort your friends. The kids and I have been praying for them, and we will continue to do as they walk through this valley with their Good Shepherd. He is watching over them carefully.
Post a Comment