Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My Salvation Story

I grew up in a Christian home. When I was eleven in response to  call for people to come to the altar and ask Jesus into their heart, I went forward. My heart was greatly moved by the gospel message. My young heart realized that I was separated from God by sin and that I needed to receive what Jesus, our Savior, had done for me. At that age my sins were lying and disobedience and that may not seem like a big deal in light of "big" sins, but a little wrong is just as wrong as a big wrong. Prior to receiving Christ as our Savior we are all separated from God the Father by a gulf of sin that in in the very nature of man since the fall in the Garden of Eden. This being the case even the most innocent of children must still make this decision on their own.

At this point in my life I had not made Jesus my Lord, ruler of my heart. As a teenager I became very rebellious toward my parents and really all authority. I began to have sex with my boyfriend. I became pregnant and out of confusion and evil counsel my parents took me to have an abortion. (The consequences of that are another life story.) Yet again, 6 months later, I was pregnant again. In hopelessness my parents threw up their hands and said, "you can get married if you want to" and so we did. I was 16. Less than a year later at 17 I realized that this relationship with Jesus had to be more than it was, not only did I need a Savior, I needed Him to be ruler of my heart and my life. Doing things my own way was not working. Living by what felt good at the moment was going to destroy my life. I needed a relationship where I listened and obeyed rather than following the whims of my heart. While the gulf of sin had been bridged by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and gave me access to the throne of God, there was more. Philippians 2:12 says "...continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling. The day to day working out of our salvation means to finish and work fully the profession of faith that was made.

When I was 22 I was incredibly frustrated and felt like a failure in my Christian walk. No matter how hard I tried and no matter what headway I would make, it seemed that I slipped farther back than I started. It was so hard to be Christlike. Paul the apostle said the same thing. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate to do I do. Romans 7:15. God my Father in heaven heard my cry and brought me a neighbor who told me about the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Having been raised in a denomination where this was not taught every time my neighbor would tell me about this experience I would try to teach her what I had been taught, yet I kept asking her questions. One day I realized that the very cry of my heart could be met in taking the step she had. What I saw in her life and on the peace on her countenance was what I longed for . God "opened my eyes of understanding", Ephesians 1:18-20. After asking God for this baptism there was a definite change in my life, even relief. I found that what I had always tried to do on my own could only be accomplished with the aid of the Holy Spirit. Jesus had promised this very thing. John 16:17-16, He would send the Holy Spirit to counsel me, teach me, and guide me in all truth and make known to me all that belongs to Jesus.

From that point on I have walked out my Christian life with the help of the Holy Spirit, knowing that there is nothing in me that can do it myself. Oh, I still do things I don't want to do and don't do things I want, I have One who daily helps me walk in His steps. Galatians 5:16-17.

**My boyfriend and I did get married at 16 and 17. He went into the Air Force to provide for his family. We grew up together and the Lord always led us to great churches and Christians who were awesome role models whom we will never forget. We have 3 daughters who fell in love with Jesus and serve Him with all their heart. They met and married Godly men and they have provided us with, at this present count, 17 grandchildren. We are truly blessed. God has redeemed it all!

No comments: